The LBTQ+ community is a critical part of Louisiana. I have never tolerated hatred and bigotry, and will never be afraid to speak truth to power to ensure members of the LQBTQ+ are treated with dignity and justice, are protected, and have every opportunity to be happy and successful.
I am proud of the work I have done as a state legislator, and there has been no bigger champion for the LGBTQ community in our legislature than me. I have unapologetically championed the LGBTQ+ community against discrimination by using my voice, position and vote to support and advance equality whether in committee hearings, on the Senate floor, or in the Capitol Rotunda. I wrote the Louisiana non-discrimination act way back in 2004 because it was the right thing to do.
As your Congresswoman, I will:
BE A PROACTIVE ALLY FOR THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY
- Our work is not done until everyone in every part of this country can live their true, authentic lives free from discrimination, hate, violence and bigotry. On my first day in Congress it will be my honor to join Congressman Pocan and the LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus.
- I will support laws requiring contractors and organizations that receive public funds to not discriminate on the grounds of sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
- I will vigorously oppose the exemption of non-discrimination and other laws based on a stated religious belief for individuals.
- I will continue to stand against hate, violence, and prejudice.
- I will advocate better funding for LGBTQ+ youth programs.
- I will fight for funding for orgs like the NO/AIDS task force to ensure they have the resources they need. We must do a better job at funding and finally eradicate HIV and end the AIDS epidemic – that work is far from done.
- I will immediately go to work to pass fully inclusive employment non-discrimination legislation, including housing and public accommodation non-discrimination laws.
- I will also fight to make sure that conversion therapy is outlawed in this country. It is barbaric, against all medical and psychological recommendations and must stop.
- I will stand firm against the transphobic movement to ban trans athletes from competing in sporting events.